Monday, March 17, 2008

Panic Attack!!


Nathan turned up missing this afternoon. I was reading with Carter on the couch and Nate kept interrupting so I asked him to wait in his room until I was done helping Carter. Well, about 15 minutes later, It was time to walk Carter out to the bus stop and that's when I couldn't find Nate. I noticed he had opened the garage door and that his bike was parked outside of the neighbor's house in our cul-de-sac. I watched Carter get on the bus, and then began to investigate. I knocked on the neighbor's door, no answer. I began to check the other neighbor's homes, they haven't seen him. So, I check our house again more thoroughly, still no luck. Now I am beginning to panic. I go back to the house where his bike was and this time tried to open the front door, locked. I noticed the back gate was open so I walked in the back yard and couldn't see him back there anywhere. I checked the canal, under our in-ground tramp. Everywhere I can think. He has never hidden from me before and when I call he has always come. It is like him to leave without asking, but he never goes far. It is not like him to hide and fall asleep somewhere. I called Doug at work, he is now headed home to search, all my neighbors are now out looking. Whenever he has taken off he has never left the cul-de-sac, which is why I am really starting to become more and more anxious. I called 911 - a first for me, and now I am giving a description of my son on the phone, terrifying thoughts are going through my mind. The officer arrives and I am visiting with him about Nate, he tells me that 95% of the time, kids are hiding somewhere and to check my house again carefully, so I do. I know he isn't in our home. It has now been an hour, I am trying to hold it together, worrying and praying.  There are police cars patrolling our neighborhood, two officers are now searching the house. About 15 min. later I hear someone say we found him. I race outside an see an officer walking across the street with Nathan in his arms. I start crying, Nathan is crying. We are relieved. Turns out, he went behind the house where I saw the gate open, found an unlocked door went into the empty house (he has a little friend who lives there), and went upstairs and was playing. He was just on his way home.  We had a necessary visit with the police about how we shouldn't take off without talking to our parents. (nothing new for Nate). And I was advised to put magnetic alarms on all my doors so I know when anyone comes or goes.

I am so thankful everything was resolved and Nate is home safe.

9 comments:

Erin said...

Alison... this, as you would guess, made my heart pound just reading about it after the fact. I am so glad everything is O.K.! I think I may need to get some of those alarms... I have never heard of magnetic door alarms, but now I want some!

Katie said...

Alison- Wow! I am sick that happened and that I just drove away from the bus stop to leave you to your nightmare! What a little stinker. Apparently, he feels pretty comfortable at the Bartholomews. I am so glad it all turned out okay. How scary!

Melissa: said...

Wow, Ali. That would be an agonizing experience.

I'm so glad everything turned out okay!

Squeeze that boy for me, and I hope you get to take a long hot bath, or do something to unwind those nerves tonight.

Love you,
M

Deb said...

I am so glad that nothing happened to him. I could feel the fear as I read that! I am not looking forward to those days...when your kids can wander. Hope you are feeling a little better tonight. Love you!

Marci + Dan said...

What a scare, so glad everything is okay.

swensen squeeze said...

Ali - just reading this I am freaked out! That is by far the worst feeling when you can't find your child! I am so sorry you went through that and I am so happy you found that cute boy!

cristie said...

ok, i'm reading this story and thinking "he's asleep in the house somewhere"...only because katie had me looking all over the streets of littleton only to be found dressed up like a baby sitting in a retired infant seat sequestered away in the basement. as you well remember laurel was famous for going anywhere downhill, and we used to tether ed to the kitchen barstool.

sorry for your scare dear, but very thankful for a happy outcome. xox

apples don't fall far from the tree ;-)

Angela said...

OH my gosh... I can't imagine what that must have felt like! Sheer panic for sure!! I am SO glad this story had a happy ending. I love my door alarms- a very good investment!

Carrie said...

So scary...I actually know how you feel but I actually caused my panic (remember...Davis, McDonalds - enough said!!!) So happy he is found!